Originally built as a farmhouse circa 1490, this Grade II Listed building was extended during 1550, 1650 and latterly 1720
The sympathetic renovation of 2008 uncovered a wealth of period features such as vaulted ceilings, oak beams and central brick fireplace, all of which have added to the intimate ambience of the three clearly defined areas : Roschild’s Restaurant; The InnBetween; The Village Bar. In addition, there is an attractive landscaped Beer Garden at the rear of the property and parking for 32 vehicles
For the historians, Old Basing was the site of the longest UK Mainland siege by Oliver Cromwell’s army where Roundhead met Cavalier during the 23 month siege of Basing House which ended in November 1645. A large proportion of the ruins were used to build the houses in The Street with musket ball damage still being visible. The site of Basing House is open to the public for most of the year
The InnBetween at the Bolton Arms was built from the bricks of Basing House and is renowned for sitings of “The Cavalier” ghost that has been seen on many occasions. It is rumoured that upon his arrival in Old Basing Cromwell beheaded one of his generals in the original part of the building (Roschild’s Restaurant) as “encouragement” to others ! We also have a phantom dog that is heard prowling the premises on several occasions each year and, a young boy dressed in 16th century peasant clothing who appears behind the Village Bar during September
Following Oliver and Richard Cromwell’s Protectorate period the House of Stuart was restored to the throne in 1660 when the lands of Basing were returned to the Paulet family. A “Dukedom” was specifically created and bestowed upon Charles Paulet as a show of gratitude for his loyalty to the Crown. Charles Paulet became the first Duke of Bolton, hence the name of the pub. Charles Paulet was later elevated to the position of Lord Bolton by a simple clerical error when called upon to address the House of Lords
The InnBetween was the original Dame School for the area prior to the education system being established. Between 1720 to 1740 two spinster sisters offered rudimentary lessons to local youngsters between 8 am to noon for a penny a week – prior to the boys going to work in the fields and the girls commencing house chores. In the evening the schoolhouse became the local hostelry
Conveniently situated in the quiet and picturesque Conservation Area of Old Basing, the Bolton Arms is less than two miles from Basingstoke town centre. The village is surrounded by beautiful Hampshire countryside of open fields and riverside walks and is next to the cricket green, archery and bowling club, tennis courts and children’s recreation ground. If these pursuits appear too energetic, however, you can relax while spotting the many species of wildlife and birds that are found in the area ?